The craftin’ part of this blog has been lacking :( I have done most of the projects in my room months ago and did not really take a lot of pictures, therefore posts about them would be boring and picture-less. However, I am going to piece together a few for you until I can work on some more when it warms up…
I have this cabinet in my room that my family used to keep a fish tank on. When we got rid of the fish, I figured I would take it and use it as a desk. The wood tone is not my favorite… In my head, I was picturing a painted cabinet (probably gray) with a pattern on the top. That is when I ran into this blog. I LOVED IT! The color, the stain, the stencil… it was perfect.
I still had a few problems, the cabinet is not real wood, so re-finishing the top was out of the question, so I decided to just buy a piece of wood to fit the top and stencil that!
I went to Home Depot and found a cheap, thin piece of wood that would look okay stained. (If you need something cut to size, Home Depot will do it for you, for free!)
While I was at Home Depot, I also bought a small can (1/2 pint) of Rustoleum oil-based white paint, (1/2 pint) Minwax Dark Walnut Stain, a few of those cheap foam brushes, and a (1/2 pint) of clear satin polyurethane.
The next step was finding the right stencil. I went to Michael’s in an attempt to keep the project cheap and found a few options. I decided on this one…(there were a few sizes and options within each kit).
As you can see, I just used painter’s tape to hold the stencil in place and went to town. IT TOOK FOREVER, because I had to do two coats. The most difficult part was lining up the corners so the stencil matched up. I recommend planning it out first and taking your time.
Once the paint was completely dry, I just used a foam brush to brush on the stain and a sock to wipe off the excess. I used 2 coats on the whole thing, and 3 in certain spots that were absorbing the stain weird. After the stain dried, I coated the whole thing in polyurethane. I used two coats of that, and did a light sanding in between and after to create a smooth surface. (I let each coat dry completely before doing any sanding).
It is not perfect, but I still love the way it turned out. (Note: Be careful not to get paint anywhere you don’t want it, it will stand out once stained; even though I tried to sand it away prior to staining) Once the weather gets nice again, I will finish off the cabinet, paint it, and do a final reveal! Stay tuned!