I saw a recipe for paleo dinner rolls on Pinterest (direct link) last week and instantly knew I needed to try them out. They looked so good and well who doesn’t miss bread while eating paleo. Let’s say it together…. We miss bread!…. and pastries, pasta, chips…haha
- 1 cup tapioca flour (starch) (I found mine at Whole Foods)
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 large egg, whisked
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine the tapioca flour, salt and the coconut flour in a small bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg, and then pour in the oil and warm water.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- If the mixture is too thin you should add one or two more tablespoons of coconut flour – one tablespoon at a time – until the mixture is a soft but somewhat sticky dough.
- Scoop out about two tablespoons of the dough and roll into balls. Use extra tapioca flour in the palms of your hands so the dough does not stick. (The tapioca flour gave me the chills when on my hands, anyone else? weird…)
- Place each roll of dough onto a greased baking pan. You should have 9-10 rolls.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown
For a very smooth roll, just have the dough as smooth as possible before cooking. I did not mind the little peaks and lumpy look. It all tastes the same :)
I made these in the morning before running errands, and they came out of the oven soft on the inside and firm on the outside. I used some coconut butter for some extra flavor and then stored in a bag
Hours later, the inside was still soft (you could always microwave for a few seconds too). I decided I wanted to make turkey burger sliders with some extra meat before it went bad. BEST DECISION OF THE DAY! They were amazing. These little rolls were the perfect buns. I sliced three in half, added lettuce, avocado, and almond butter, and of course turkey burger sprinkled with garlic powder and pepper! SO GOOD!!
I will definitely be making these again, very soon!