A few years ago, my parents had a large spot in the backyard dedicated to a vegetable garden.. Each year the area seemed to get smaller and smaller as they decided it was too much work.
Who can blame them. The first year the pumpkins took over the whole thing, the next year strawberries were growing everywhere (we never planted them?!) Then there were the zucchinis. There were dozens of these bad boys. Instead of letting them go to waste, my mom got creative. Lets just say we ate A LOT of zucchini one summer.
My favorite were her zucchini muffins.
The other day my dad brought some zucchini and squash home from a co-worker and I realized it had been a very long time since we’ve had them! SO, I wanted to make the muffins for my family and some paleo zucchini bread for me!
Non-Paleo Zucchini Muffins
- 3 Eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 C. Sugar
- 2-1/2 C. Flour
- 1 C. Oil
- 2 C. Shredded Zucchini
- 1 t. Baking Soda
- 1 t. Baking Powder
- 2 t. Vanilla
- 3 t. Cinnamon
- 1 t. Salt
- extras if desired (nuts, chocolate chips, raisins, etc.)
- Extra sugar for sprinkling on top of muffins prior to baking
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees
- Mix all the dry ingredients together
- Mix all the wet ingredients together
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, beat together. The batter will be somewhat thick
- Scoop into muffin tins and sprinkle with sugar
- Bake for 25 minutes, makes 24 muffins.
Paleo Zucchini Bread
- 2 Eggs
- 2 T. Coconut Oil, melted
- 1/3 C. Honey
- 1 t. Vanilla
- 1 C. Shredded Zucchini
- 1-1/2 C. Almond Flour
- 1 T. Cinnamon
- 1/2 t. Baking Soda
- 1/2 t. Baking Powder
- 1/4 t. Sea Salt
- Enjoy Life Mini Chocolate Chips (used in half the batter)
- any other extras you would like
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix wet ingredients together in a medium bowl
- Mix dry ingredients together in a smaller bowl
- Slowly combine dry ingredients into wet ingredients (this batter, unlike the one above is on the runny side)
- Scoop into bread pan, (or whatever you choose). I stopped half way through and added the chips, then finished. This recipe made 5 mini breads
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Overall, they are both tasty and I did not have a preference in taste. That said, I would only want to eat the paleo option after seeing all the sugar, oil, etc. that went into the non-paleo muffins. That makes me appreciate the ingredients in paleo foods that much more! & since they both taste great, why put all the nasty sugars and junk in your body.