While grocery shopping yesterday, I found key lime, orange creamsicle, and pink lemonade cake mix. They were on sale for 3 for $5 and I just couldn’t pass that up. I see these flavors every spring/summer, (Last year we only tried the pink lemonade cookies, delicious by the way) and this year I thought the cakes would be fun to test out. I planned on making cupcakes and cool themed cake pops. First up, pink lemonade cupcakes with home made pink lemonade frosting..
1) bake the cake according to the instructions on the box.
2) let cupcakes cool completely before piping on the icing
Frosting: (note- they sell matching icings with the cakes if you want to skip this step and just buy it)
1) mix together 1/4 C. of cream cheese and 1/4 C. crisco
2) add in one packet of pink lemonade crystal light
3) slowly add powdered sugar until you get the desired flavor, I used about a cup
This covered 10 of the cupcakes… I planned on taking some to work and really only needed to make those ones pretty. So double or even triple the recipe if you want lots of icing.
-I piped on the icing using just a zip lock bag and cutting the corner off…lazy and cheap :)
-I had leftover paper straws from past cake pop orders that I just cut up. -Then added them into the icing.
-I had sliced up lemon into little slices to garnish as well.
-Topped it all off with some yellow sprinkles.
I love the way they turned out and they are so yummy!